Monday, December 01, 2008

Home and Happy

We arrived home last night after a quite adventurous weekend. It was "interesting" to say the least.

Everything started with Wednesday. I got up and packed up everything that I would need. This was for a four-day weekend so it was quite a bit. (Especially of knitting and crocheting. I mean, heaven forbid I should run out!) Then, I knew that I HAD to get to the Department of Motor Vehicles before we left town so that I could renew my license. I also realized that I had to get new registration for my car because it had already expired. What? How did that happen.
I packed up my pack-pack. (A friend's kids always call their backpack a packpack and I think it's so cute that I have adopted it.) I packed two knitting projects because I wasn't sure if I would need them or not. After all, I have heard horror stories of trips to the DMV taking hours and I am new in town, I didn't know if I would have to wait or not. I managed to find it okay after the directions a friend gave me. (Although I did have a scare of a cop driving right next to me on the way there. I drive quite nicely but I was so scared he would notice the expired tabs ON MY WAY to renew them. I mean, what would be the chance he would believe me?!)
I found the DMV with very little trouble and way overfed the meter, just in case of a wait. I was in and out very quickly, despite the over $70.00 price tag. Ouch. I was home in about an hour.
Since I had some time and I knew hubby would be anxious to go as soon as he arrived home at 1:00pm, I packed up everything for him as well.

I may have accidentally cast on a new project on the way to my parents' house but it was for Christmas so we will overlook it.

Wednesday night we stayed at my parents and I helped dutifully with the dinner on Thursday. It was yummy and almost the whole family stuck around for the game-playing later on too.

We spent the night and then on Friday my mom and I did a little shopping on BLACK Friday. We didn't go super early so it was busy but not crazy. We did get some super good deals though.
Exhausted we headed back to her house where we lounged and played games together, just her and I, although my dad did join us for a couple games of Farkle.

Saturday morning, my mom had to get up super early (as she usually does) to go help her friend paint her house. It was okay with us because we had to leave to go to Carnage Con.
We spent the day flying our geek flag, playing such games as Star Wars Monopoly with a roomful of loud gamers. It was a blast except for the flat tire on hubby's car. Yeah, it's totally ruined too.

In the Good News department, I did manage to finish something in between games.

These are my Sister-in-law's Monkey Socks.
The Specs:
The Yarn: Plymouth Italian Collection Sockotta (45% Cotton, 40% Superwash Wool, 15% Nylon) in color 6056
The Needles: I used size 2 Bamboo needles
The Size: Ladies Medium although they're quite stretchy, I think they might even be able to go to a smallish large. (does that make sense at all?!)
The Pattern: Monkey of course.
The Recipient: (Always important this time of year) my Sister-in-Law
Notes: This was stash yarn and while I do like the pattern, it's not my favorite yarn. I don't hate it so I would knit with it again but cotton is not my first choice for socks.

Sometime after midnight, we trooped across country to his parents house where we spent the night and got up on my Birthday. Yay! (I'm so sad a little cake doesn't show up like on Ravelry.) We did our family Thanksgiving celebration with his family that day and had a good time altogether. We bowled on his Sis-in-Law's Wii where I earned my new nickname - Guest E because that's the character I played instead of creating a Mii.
I manged to finish the socks that I had started on the start of our weekend, way back on Wednesday too!

They are socks for my little Niece Delia for Christmas.
The Specs:
The Yarn: Kroy Sock Yarn in Coal, about a third of one skein and Kroy Stripes Sock Yarn in Krazy Stripes, nearly one whole skein
The Needles: Size 2 Bamboo needles
The Size: Children's Size 11
The Pattern: I improvised this design but it's something like the Yarn Harlot's Rainbow Peerie Socks (scroll down) from a few years ago.
The Recipient: My niece Delia of course.
Notes: This was a fun knit. Here's a close-up of the pattern, although the color is all off.

Knitting socks for kids (although it's dangerous, since they may not like them and will immediately outgrow them) is Super Fast. Why didn't anyone tell me that. I finished the first sock on Wednesday night, mere hours after I had started it and if I hadn't been so busy with other things, I would have finished the other immediately on Thursday.
Here's the size for scale.

I've pictured them helpfully next to the Monkey socks, although, I have to be honest with you, the monkeys kinda scrunch up.

We headed home on our little donut tire last night and got home safe and sound. Exhausted but safe.

The bad news is that we now have to save up for hubby to buy two new tires for his car. They're expensive because he has the fancy car with the low profile and the other side is pretty well shot too. *sigh* Yarn Diet anyone?

No comments: