Friday, January 30, 2009

New Yarn and a Red hat.

The last couple of days have been really strange. I feel like I've been walking around in a kind of fog.
Yesterday hubby was home from work which means that I get absolutely nothing done and he's always in the way. I mean, I love him but if you could learn to not knock my books on the floor or mess up the bed I just made, that would be great.
To top it off, I wasn't feeling super great yesterday. I think I may have been walking around with a teeny, tiny bit of the stomach flu bug that much of my family has had. I'm hoping that my body will fight it back before it becomes the full-fledged thing. uck.
Anyway, because of the weird days, I haven't gotten a whole heck of a lot of knitting done. I managed to finish my first thrummed mitten and I discovered why I don't knit many pairs of mittens. It's extremely difficult to knit while you are wearing the first mitten.
I won't bore you with pictures since the second one will look the same. At least until they are both done but instead will show off something I got in the mail this morning.

A few days ago over on A Few Stitches Short. She did a yarn sale of some lovely sock yarns. I was one of the happy recipients of this beautiful yarn. (I believe she will do it again for a few weeks so check out the blog on Saturday if you are interested.) It's Spunky Eclectic Tough Sock in "Nightshade" A color that I guess was exclusive to her fiber club in May 2007. I am in LOVE with it. It's soft and squooshy and lovely and it makes me so, so happy. (Okay, after I found that link for Spunky Eclectic I went and checked out her yarn. HELP ME! I want EVERYTHING!!!)

The only thing that is keeping me from winding it up and casting on RIGHT NOW is the knowledge that I have no idea what I will knit with it. (Yeah, the fact that I'm waiting for the Lim & Violet Sock Marathon to start, not even in my mind right now.)
The best thing about it, in my opinion, is that it reminds me of the skein of Fleece Artist that I saw at The Yarnery when my mom and I went down to hear the Yarn Harlot. I didn't get the skein but I've thought about the summery colors ever since and this is even better because alongside the red and green there's a lovely, violety purple (that doesn't photograph very well.)

Last night as my frustration with all my projects grew and grew, I decided to cast on something else and went searching through my yarn for something different. What I pulled up was a skein of yarn I tried to dye with beets a year or so ago. It came out a kind of dusky red, not at all the color I was going for so I haven't used it for anything. I asked hubby if he liked it and would like something from it. Pretty soon I had this:

It's the start of a hat. I knit it on fairly small needles so it would be extra warm. (These are Size 5s, 3.75 mm) I started at the top because I didn't want to swatch and when I move it to a circular as soon as I have some more stitches, I will be able to have him try it on and see if it fits.

Well, I don't have much more to say today. I'm going to head off and knit. Enjoy the sun even though it's only 2 degrees here. (What is up with that? Grrr.)

No comments: