Tuesday, December 24, 2013

That Thing We Knitters Do

You know that thing we knitters do at Christmas (or whatever holiday you choose to celebrate)? The one where you want to wrap your loved ones in wool so they will survive the winter, understand why you knit so much, know how much you love them. So you plan and buy yarn and knit and knit and knit and by the end you're crying hot tears into the wool at 2 am because there's just no way you can finish in time? All this while still trying to do all the other things the holiday calls for like bake and decorate and wrap things?
This year, I don't. Victory is mine!

One completed pair of sport-weight socks, Knit Picks Stroll Sport in Everglade Heather which is not at all heathered to me.

One Double-knit hat so that the outside looks like this and the inside looks like this;

And two layers of lovely wool will be between the recipient's ears and the cold, cold Minnesota winter. Knit Picks Wool of the Andes one ball Coal and one ball Celestial.
I even finished the socks (which were the last thing on the needles) early enough yesterday to knit this as well;

One basic ribbed black hat for someone I had originally forgotten to add to my list and I could not think of a good gift to buy for. (I put a piece of cardboard cut to shape in it to wrap it up since ribbed hats look weird until they're on a head.) Knit Picks Wool of the Andes in Coal again.
I still have a couple of small things (ruffly, evil things) to finish before next week's other Christmas celebration but today I'm doing a small bit of last-minute baking, finishing the wrapping (which I am now done with) and doing a wee little bit of cookie-decorating. We'll attend church and then have a small Christmas with just the husband and I before we travel to be with family.
Merry Christmas to you and yours from the Chez Kalkette!

Edited to Add: After the holiday I will be putting extensive project notes on my Ravelry project page to help me plan better for next year (I hope). But I won't have time today. 

No comments: