Wednesday, February 05, 2014

All It's Cracked Up To Be

I've been more focused on spinning lately and I am pleased to report that I finished my Gritty Knits Merino in Cracked. The braid was split lengthwise and then drafted a bit to loosen up the fibers but I spun it to be what it wanted. The singles were somewhat marled so I thought I would probably end up with a somewhat tweedy-looking yarn. I think I was right. I finished the singles Monday evening and waited until Tuesday to start plying. Since I had errands to run yesterday and it was knit night, I couldn't ignore all other responsibilities and just spin but I finished it today.

Doesn't it look wonderful? All ready to be wound into a skein and that's just what I did.

This picture it a little dark but lovely just the same. It's about 350 yards so as I predicted about a sport-weight. I really like it and I've already soaked and twacked it, it's drying now so I can knit with it as soon as the mood strikes. I'm not sure what it wants to be yet but it's probably not going to sit in stash long, I'll be knitting it soon.
I also finally finished up the baby sweater I was knitting for a friend's baby. She was due in January and I held off on finishing the last little bit but once the baby was born I finished the knitting and blocked the lovely little thing. For some reason I just set it aside though, I didn't sew the buttons on. Since I was going to see the lovely little thing and her fabulous mama at Knit night, I sewed the buttons on yesterday and whisked it off to her. I hope she loves it!

I think it turned out pretty cute! It's Gritty Knits nom in Brazil and I knit it into the Maile baby sweater. I used the free version. A few notes: I would have liked a little more info about what weight of yarn she used, I think she probably used more like a sport weight, I felt like mine was really floppy while I was knitting it but I came very close to gauge. Also, if I ever knit it again (which I might, it was mostly a very cute pattern) I would do something different with the sleeves. When she has you attach them, you hold ALL the sleeve stitches on the needles and I had a really, really difficult time with it until I got a few rows in. I would say maybe hold a few stitches on the body and the sleeve and graft them later? Up to the knitter but I really did not care for the struggle with it as written.

No comments: