Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Little Askew

I've been trying to be organized and get some things finished. I have some brown natural wool on the wheel that I want to get done so I can start Jenna's prize spinning and I can't seem to motivate myself to work on it. I did spend all day Sunday at the Forest City Stockade working on it though, in between explaining spinning to passers-by. I even got the husband to dress up with me.

(All the pictures today are sideways, I cannot for the life of me get them to straighten out and I'm sick of trying. I may be a little too sleep-deprived to care right now.) Yes, that's a bonnet, what can I say, I couldn't wear my sunglasses and it definitely helped. What it didn't help with was the super heat. It's been very hot the last couple of days.
What does that say to me? Apparently knit a hat.

I couldn't stop thinking about the lovely, drapey 50% Merino/50% silk yarn and I decided it did need to be knit into a slouchy hat, whether it would look good or not. I cast on last night and finished it today. I love it a little bit, even though it's not very flattering on me.

It turned out so pretty though. I fiddled around with the stitch count to make sure it didn't pool. It still pooled a little bit during the increases and decreases but I love how it striped with the little blips of blue in the other places on the hat.
Now I'm absolutely not allowed to cast on anything new until I finish something else though. I've been working on my Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief again and it's slowly growing. I've also been working on my Georgia on my Mind socks and I'm at the heel flap on the second sock. The end is in sight on these two projects so it shouldn't be too hard to finish something.
For the most part I'm getting ready to go camping though! This weekend we're going camping with my in-laws near Richmond, MN. I hope it doesn't rain as much as the weather report is predicting because we are tenting it! I've aired out the tent and started to assemble camping supplies. It's gonna be a great time and I'm hoping I will get lots of knitting done.
Not only for my own sanity do I want to finish something, I signed up for the Harry Potter Knit/Crochet House Cup sorting. I haven't played along in the past so it's very possible I could get placed in the Not Quite First Years group and not get sorted into a house but it's going to be fun anyway and they require you don't cast on for you projects for classes until the start-of-term. That's September 1. (Although previously unfinished items can get turned in for Detention if finished for some points.) Come join us and play along, it's going to be so much fun!

No comments: