Thursday, October 04, 2012

Super Sock Splendor

I fell down a little bit and cast on some things. I've been so careful lately about working on finishing things first and it just didn't work this week.

First, I cast on some lovely Georgia on my Mind socks

This is from Three Irish Girls Adorn sock in the color Lucerne, I got it from a destash and I was so in love with the color it didn't make it into the stash. I just set it near my knitting seat and I couldn't resist it anymore. These will become my purse socks, my skew socks have a bit of a problem so I am giving them a time out. That makes me feel vindicated about starting these.
Then, I'm in the Solid Socks group and this month's color is purple. Since purple is my favorite color and I just happened to have a semi-solid in stash in an amazing purple, I decided to cast on these.

The pattern is Wrought Iron socks from Wendy Johnson's book Toe-up Socks for Every Body. I'm really liking it so far but I haven't really found my groove yet. The chart is 38 rows and so, I haven't made it through one chart repeat yet, I think that will help. I just need to sit down and focus a bit. I think it's just lovely so far though. The yarn is the lovely nom by Gritty Knits it's a club colorway but I forgot to enter it in my Rav stash so I can't remember which month it came from. The color is Royal Purple though and it's a very difficult color to photograph. This one is probably the closest I have gotten so far.

I actually don't feel too bad about starting these socks since I finished some.
These are the Vine Lace Socks from Socks, Socks, Socks.

Let's get right into the Specs shall we?
The Specs:
The Needles: US Size 1 DPNs (2.25mm)
The Yarn: Merino Bamboo yarn dyed by my friend Lisa in the Sugarplums colorway (she's not currently dyeing so I can't link to her but she's planning to start up again soon!)
The Pattern: Vine Lace Socks by Kathy Garguilo from the book Socks, Socks, Socks
The Notes: While I think the yarn is amazingly gorgeous and the pattern really shows it off, I really struggled with this seemingly simple pattern. The chart is small and seems easy to follow but I found myself ripping and reknitting a lot. The way the yarnovers, ssks and k2togs move made it more difficult to make sure you were in the right part of the chart than I would have thought.

They took a good long break but eventually, I persevered and finished them up. I think they'll become some of my favorite socks but I'm not sure that I would knit this pattern again.
Either way I have some lovely new socks finished and some lovely new ones on the needles too.

1 comment:

JennaKate said...

I can see why you had to cast on those sock yarns! Gorgeous!