Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Catching Up with Nothing Interesting.

The last week sort of got away from me there. I meant to blog, I just didn't have much to say and it kinda fell by the wayside as I rushed to get everything done that needed doing.

This week, I'm focusing on less and trying to get my brainpower back. I'm not sure where it went but it certainly seems gone. I think too many projects, all with deadlines including the ever-important taxes has gotten me completely overwhelmed and burned out!

I did start spindle-spinning something. As Kasha suggested in the comments, I pulled out some cormo. It's not flicked locks but it is hand-processed.

I bought a bag with 2 pounds of raw cormo last year at Shepherd's Harvest. It was cheap, $12 but not clean at all. I washed it and then picked a large number of weed seeds out before it could be carded. I used my friend's drumcarder and made a lovely batt, then pulled it into roving. I absolutely love spinning it. It's still a teeny bit tacky from the lanolin but I think that gives it a little bit more grip when I spin and I am loving how it's turning out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, I keep spinning a bit, then plying it so I have tiny little balls that aren't very useful.

I'm going to stop that and spin all 2 ounces that are currently processed and then get a useable amount of yarn. I still don't know what it wants to be but it's a lovely white 2-ply laceweight.

That's my spindle in the picture there as well. It's a Turkish spindle which means you wind a center-pull ball as you spin so you don't have to wind the singles off the spindle in order to ply. I really like it. As a matter of fact, I'm refinding my love of spindling and I'm thinking I may have to find another spindle at Shepherd's Harvest this year. We'll see, they can get spendy if you want a fancy one.

I'm also knitting up a quicky project. This is 2 skeins of Caron Country in Peacock and they're becoming a shrug that I hope to wear to a wedding where my husband is singing. The wedding is on Saturday, who thinks that next week we will disavow all knowledge of the shrug?

Anyone?

Also, the yarn is much darker than this picture, I'm not sure what happened there but it's not nearly that bright and it's much more peacock-blue.

Other than those few things, not much fiber-related has been happening this week. Just too many other things going on. Hopefully on Saturday I'll have a shrug and maybe on Friday, I'll have something more interesting to show you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will have spindles at my booth! :)

Karen