Thursday, March 12, 2009

Aeolian calls out to me.

So, yesterday morning I got up and had in my mind a post all written about what I was crocheting. Then, something happened. I got distracted by this. I love almost all the patterns so I decided to just queue things on Ravelry and then print later when I cast something on.
About fifteen minutes later, I had broken my own rule. What happened? I scrolled down in this pattern: Aeolian. I saw the larger version in the cream and I saw the purple. I absolutely fell in love. Fourteen printed pages later, I was stash diving and I had cast on.
Whoops.

Well, it turns out that I'm not the only one. A friend on Plurk (hi KarenB!) was also going to knit it so we talked about doing a plurk knitalong. Then, a few minutes later, I had created a group on Ravelry. We have 37 members already. Here's my version:

I have a 32" Addi Turbo in Size 1 (I'm okay with the fact that it is slightly smaller than called for. 90" is pretty large so if mine ends up slightly smaller, so be it.) I'm using Knit Picks Shadow in Lost Lake. I am doing the beads too. I have a whole bunch of the green and then when I run out I have some that are blue and green mixed together and since the yarn is kind of blue and green heather, I think that might be interesting.

Well, I hate to disappoint the crocheters so I will move along to the Crochet project.
Awhile back, I found a skein of Aunt Lydia's Crochet Thread. What's so interesting about that? It was bamboo. I was surprised and I picked it up and put it in the cart (this was at Wal-Mart of all places.) It has a lovely sheen to it and it is silky and soft so I bought it. It was about the same price as the cotton crochet thread also.

The ball has a scant 300 yards (as opposed to 350 on most cotton crochet thread) so I searched through my crochet books to find a pattern that I liked but that called for less than 300 yards. I found a beautiful pattern in Absolutely Gorgeous Doilies its called Peacock Pride. I started up right away. I'm still taking lots of rest for my wrist so I've been only working on this slowly but I have to say:

I'm LOVING it.

The thoughts I had about it were that the shiny factor would make it slippery and difficult to work with and that I would have issues with splitting since I could easily see the plys in the thread. I found neither of these to be the case. I haven't had any issues with it splitting and the shiny and smooth factor makes it a dream to work with. While I was purchasing it, I saw only the one color but I see that it comes in many colors on the website I linked to. I would love to see it in many other, brighter colors since I have heard bamboo takes dye very well. I will definitely be using this again.

Sorry for the awful pictures. It's hard to get a decent picture of this project. I'll keep trying.

But for now, I'm going to go knit Aeolian.

No comments: