Saturday, January 11, 2014

Experimental Confetti

This week has been weird and stressful in odd little ways. It's mostly related to personal things that I don't talk about here, so I won't. I found days slipping by with little or no knitting in them though and it meant I kept forgetting that I wanted to get a blog post up.
A couple of weeks ago I wrenched my right wrist somehow and while it's not really "injured" it is exacerbated by knitting. I'm absolutely terrified that I will do something to make it seriously injured and keep me from knitting as much as I like so when I have had free time I haven't done much knitting this week.
All the knitting I've done has gone into the hat for my Handsome Husband.

I changed the colors around on it so it would match his coat which is gray and blue with yellow piping. I think it looks pretty good and I look forward to finishing it soon. Hopefully today or tomorrow.
Since I wasn't knitting I tried to keep my mind off of it by doing other things. Spinning is okay and so I managed to finish the first bobbin of the Polwarth I'm spinning into a laceweight.

It's really beautiful and fine and I'm completely in love with it. As much as I like it though, I needed a little break from spinning so fine so I pulled out a braid of my Gritty Knits Merino of the Month

This is Confetti Experiment which is from October 2013 and I didn't have any specific plans for it so I decided to spin it into a quick two-ply sportweight that could be added to my stash for the Mitered Crosses Blanket. The braid is 5 ounces instead of 4 so I knew I could get a great amount of yardage out of it. I split the braid in half the long way then split the second half again to maximize the color changes. Technically that's a fractal spin, although I normally split the second half in thirds and only split it twice this time. Then I spun the singles onto two bobbins and plied it up.
As predicted, it spun up quickly and I ended up with something lovely.

It almost looks pastel in these pictures but there's a more rich color palette to it than pastels.

So far it looks like it will be a lovely addition to the background colors for the blanket, although it does need to be washed yet. That will happen this afternoon and hopefully it can be added to the blanket stash in a day or two when it dries.

No comments: