Thursday, August 09, 2012

The Cousin Baby Blanket

Did you know that sometimes I knit something and I never blog about it? That's right, sometimes I just cast on and knit without regard to showing my lovely readers what it is. It has been known to happen.

It did happen as a matter of fact, last year my lovely cousin was due to have her first baby and I cast something on. The pattern is Square Shawl from Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Very simple and easy. I was knitting it out of some plain old acrylic. I chose it because my cousin is not wooly and this was to be for a baby so I wanted something that would be easy care. I know, many of you are screaming "Superwash Wool for Heaven's SAKE!" at your computer. I don't have quick (i.e. in town) access to a nice superwash wool and I was impatient. I did manage to find a pretty decent-feeling and pretty-colored acrylic at the store and so I purchased it and started knitting.

It really isn't much to look at when it's in progress.

Kind of just a pretty lump.

Although, if I lay it like this:

You can see how it started. It makes a sort of an x or cross in the middle. Then you keep increasing and increasing...

Until it's big enough or you're sick to death of it. It's almost the first birthday of this lovely child and I haven't finished her blanket. I figured I'd better get going so I pulled it out and started working on it again this week. The party is on the 19th of this month. I'm not sure how far I'm going to get. I'll probably just knit until I run out of time, do a few rounds of garter stitch and call it good.

I have over 100 stitches per side right now, that's 400+ per round so I'm pretty well into the sick to death of it phase. Honestly I'm only working on it when I need a little break from the Lotus Heart Socks though so not too often. I'm getting a gauge of 4.5 stitches to the inch so if I can make it to 150 stitches per side it will be about 33 inches. That's not too bad, good for a small person to drag around the house. At least it means I have a birthday present too right?

No comments: