Friday, July 27, 2012

Just another Food Post

I've been doing some knitting but it needs ripping so instead I will distract you with brightly colored food.
This is one of my all time favorite meals because it's super delicious, very easy to make, colorful and low in calories. It takes very few ingredients too!

Beet and Broccoli Slaw Stir fry
Ingredients:
1 bunch of beets
Rice, cooked
1 bag Broccoli Slaw mix
Extra Virgin Olive oil
 Instructions:
If you haven't cooked your rice, start it right away. I usually use brown rice but I happen to have a very large bag of basmati rice from Sam's club so I used that. While the rice is going, wash and peel your beets, then julienne them. (That basically means cut them into little strips.)  A note about the beets here as well. I usually use a bunch from the store but this time I used some from my parents' garden, about 3 medium-sized beets.

I love how reddish-purple they are. I just love beets. Cover the beets in water in a pot and set them to boil for awhile. I left mine to boil while the rice was cooking and that seemed to be enough. Then you can drain them. Now you'll want to take out your wok. (If you don't have a wok you can probably just use a large frying pan and it will work just fine.) Add a tablespoon or two of the olive oil and let it heat for just a minute.

Now open up your bag of broccoli slaw mix and dump it in, add the drained beets and just stir fry it up. I waited until it looked like the broccoli parts were getting transparent around the edges so I knew it was finished.

To finish it off just put some rice on a plate or in a bowl and top with your stir fry.


The best part? This plate, with 1 cup basmati rice, and about 3 1/2 ounces of the stir fry vegetables with 1 Tablespoon of Gluten free soy sauce is only about 291 calories. It makes a fabulous lunch, leaving room for other awesome food later!

I made it for my lunch today but I've made it for supper too and just eaten a little more. It's delicious either way!

No comments: