Friday, August 04, 2017

Sock stories

Socks are some of my favorite projects to knit. They're useful, small and portable and usually pretty simple since I have a basic pattern memorized.
I almost always have a sock in my purse and can take it out and knit a few rounds if I have down-time or I'm waiting for something. As a matter of fact, I try not to go anywhere without my knitting because it gives me a lot of patience for things like waiting.
Well, I recently finished some socks.

These are the Sweet Summer Sky socks knit from Vesper Sock Yarn in Sweet Summer Sky. I started them in mid-May to take with on our road trip to Shepherd's Harvest Festival and I finished them in either late June or early July. They were just purse socks and so had no deadline or anything so I mostly ignored them and just knit them when I had a minute. Since it was the Tour de Fleece and I had several other projects on the needles, I decided against starting any new socks when I finished these. I actually felt a little bit burned out on knitting socks and I had so many projects on the needles, I didn't want to start anything new. So instead I stuck my Wolkig cowl in my purse and away I went.
Well, after a few weeks of having that in my purse I found that I wasn't taking it out to work on, even when I had a minute because I didn't want to. I guess a cowl isn't as fun of a purse project as socks?
Last weekend my husband was gone and I was home alone with our pets and decided I wanted to knit some socks again. Except, why should I start some new socks when I knew I had some around that hadn't been finished. So I went digging around and came up with my Vesper Holiday Celebrate! socks. These were being knit in the Skew pattern and the first sock was finished, the second one started. What a silly time to put them down and ignore them.
After an evening (and then a bit more) working on them, they were done.

I still really love this pattern. They're a bit fiddly to knit because you do have to pay attention for almost the whole sock.

But just about the time you can take it anymore, you whack on the ribbing at the top and slip them on.

That's when it all becomes clear. They are completely, totally worth it! I just love the way they fit. They are snug to my foot, but not too snug and even in shoes that are slippery inside, that tend to make my socks slide down, these do not slide down. They stay exactly in place until I take them off. Love them!
Of course I was so inspired by the fact that I am now adding 2 new pairs of socks to my sock drawer and my love of these Skew socks, I decided to dig out another pair of Skew socks waiting to be finished. These required a little bit more work, having only one sock partly done. But I've finished the first and cast on the second now so they're making good progress.
Maybe I'll have another pair to share next week. 

No comments: