Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Ashburton on the Wheel

I feel like the entire month of February got away from me. I was so sleep-deprived and exhausted that I just couldn't form coherent sentences for writing blog posts. With the return of some more spring-like weather and sleep I am feeling a little better though and I'm ready to dive back into blogging! 
So, today it's all about spinning. It is Tuesday after all.
After a couple of disappointing spins I decided to go for something beautiful that would make me happy. I chose this.
It's Gritty Knits Merino in Ashburton. I absolutely love all the colors so I wanted to keep them somewhat separated, although this would make an absolutely beautiful barber pole yarn as well. 
As such I split the braid in several pieces the long way and wound them into balls. Here are a few of them. 
Then, when I'm getting ready to spin one of them, I draft it out until it's super fine and thin like this.
See how much smaller the strand is? I'm spinning it fine and plan to chain-ply so I can keep the colors as they are.
I'm not even halfway done with the spinning but it's beautiful so far and I should get a nice chain-plied fingering weight yarn. We got a different couch last summer and I'm finding it harder to get comfortable to spin so I haven't been spinning as much as I used to but I really miss it so I want to make it more of a priority from now on. I would like to finish the spinning on this at least, if not the plying, by the end of the month. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it!!!