Tuesday, November 13, 2007

We Loves the noggin around here.

So lately I have been on this hat kick. It all started with my idea for a hat for my brother for Christmas.
It's a flame hat. Since it's double knitted, it also looks like this;
if you turn it inside out. So it's reversible. I think it turned out pretty well and it means I can cross another thing off my list for Christmas knitting.
Then I wanted a hat for myself so I started digging through magazines. I ended up knitting the Tweed Beret from Interweave Knits. I think it was the summer 06 issue but I will have to check. I have unfortunately lost the picture of that hat so I will have to take another one.
The need for hats was apparently rampant in the knitting universe because the Yarn Harlot was knitting a hat too. The Unoriginal Hat. I just happened to have some yarn in the stash that I knew would work well so I knit this one afternoon;
It's knit out of Lion Brand Landscapes yarn in Rose Garden. It's a little over one skein. I think it turned out really cute and it's snug on my head but I like it a lot. It was super quick too so I am thinking about making several for extra gifts for those people whom I don't know what to give for Christmas. We'll see though.

In other news; Judy asked for the pattern for my Father-in-law's socks so here goes:

Materials: 1 skein Zitron Trekking XXL Sock yarn (about 450 yards)
Size US 2 needles Set of 5 dpns.
Leg: Cast on 72 stitches and divide onto 4 needles as follows; needle 1: 20, needle 2: 16, needle 3: 20 needle 4: 16. It is broken up that way so that it will work out easier in the ribbed pattern.
Knit in K3, P1 rib for about 6 inches. On my own socks I go seven inches but the foot is longer as they are men's size 10 and I didn't want to run out of yarn so I made the leg just a bit shorter.
Heel Flap: Working with half of the stitches; 36 (they can all be moved onto one needle if it is easier that way) work the following 2 rows back and forth approximately 18 times or until the heel flap is square;
Row 1: (RS) *Slip 1, Knit 1, repeat from * across.
Row 2: (WS) Slip 1, purl across.

Heel Turn: Working with the same 36 stitches from the heel flap, work the following rows back and forth.
Row 1: (RS) Slip 1, k 20, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 2: slip 1, p 8, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 3: slip 1, k 9, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 4: slip 1, p 10, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 5: slip 1, k 11, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 6: slip 1, p 12, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 7: slip 1, k 13, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 8: slip 1, p 14, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 9: slip 1, k 15, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 10: slip 1, p 16, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 11: slip 1, k 17, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 12: slip 1, p 18, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 13: slip 1, k 19, ssk, k1.

This brings you to the end of the heel turn. You should now have 22 stitches on your needle. Pick up and knit approximately 18 stitches down the side of the heel flap (Use your best judgement. I usually end up with more like 20 because I don't like holes in the sides and I tend to make them with less than 20.)

Gusset Decreases: You should now be back to the front of the sock, where it is worked in ribbing. This is needle 1 and should have 20 stitches on it. Work them in k3, p1 rib. Work needle 2 in knit 3, p1 rib also. Now pick up and knit approximately 18 stitches on the other side of the heel flap. (It's up to you but I find it works best if you pick up the same number of stitches on both sides of the heel flap.)
Take the stitches from the heel turn and divide them evenly onto the two needles that hold the picked up stitches from the sides of the heel flap. There should be 11 added to each needle.
Work the following 2 rounds until you have 72 stitches again. They should be divided up as follows: Needle 1: 20, Needle 2: 16, Needle 3: 18, Needle 4: 18.

Round 1: Needles 1 & 2: *Knit 3, p1, repeat from * across.
Needle 3: K1, ssk, knit to end of needle.
Needle 4: Knit to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k 1.

Round 2: Needles 1 & 2: *Knit 3, p1, repeat from * across.
Needles 3& 4: Knit all stitches.

Foot: Now work the following round until foot measures between 1 1/2 to 2 inches shorter than total length of foot.
Needles 1 & 2: *Knit 3, p1, repeat from * across.
Needles 3 & 4: Knit all stitches.

Toe: At this point we will be changing to stockinette stitch to work the toe decreases so you will want to slip two stitches from needle 1 onto needle 2 so all needles begin with 18 stitches. Work the following 2 rounds until you have 4 stitches remaining on each needle.
Round 1:
Needle 1: Knit to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1.
Needle 2: K 1, ssk, knit to end of needle.
Needle 3: Knit to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k 1.
Needle 4: K 1, ssk, knit to end of needle.
Round 2: Knit to end of round.
Once you have a total of 16 stitches left (4 on each needle) close the toe with kitchener stitch or some other seam.
Repeat for the second sock and;
Voila! you have another Christmas gift finished. Please note that this pattern was pulled out of my head so if you have a problem please ask. I may have written something wrong.

No comments: