Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Owly

I have always been something of a night owl. As a matter of fact, my mother loves to tell a story in which my brother is a wee babe and I a troublesome toddler and we kept her awake at nearly all hours as I would be up late and he up very early.
I must say though, this is getting ridiculous! It is nearly 3:30 am in my little swath of central time zone and yet, here I sit at the computer. It's not even as if I am staying up for some good reason like finishing something or having fun visiting. No, I just can't sleep.
Let me explain; no, there is too much, let me sum up. (Okay, now I'm not just owly, I'm squirrely) Many, many people (me included) in my family have strange if not outright annoying sleep habits. Some (such as my mother) arise at the butt-crack-of-dawn every single solitary day and by that I mean that if I text message her right now at 3:30 am, there's a probably 25% chance that she's awake. Some (like my aunt) can't get to sleep. Some have strange dreams, some have other weird quirks.
Then there's me. (You know this is gonna be good when I start a new paragraph, bear with me.) My sleep patterns run the gamut. It seems to run in some sort of unascertainable cycle. What happens is that I have all of those things at one time or another, although the early-riser curse is pretty rare in my day-sleeper body. For awhile (this can range anywhere from a couple of nights to more than a month for any of the following cycles) I will have strange dreams constantly every night and wake up feeling like I had run a marathon instead of actually sleeping, then it will switch, it might be to waking up many times during the night or not being able to fall asleep or sleeping late even though I managed to get to bed at a semi-decent time. These little cycles seem to have no rhyme or reason. They don't follow any pattern whatsoever that I can figure out and most of the time I can live with them (usually with the help of some caffeine.) I have worked my share of get up early and be at the office jobs (okay, I'm only 28 but I have done it for a couple of years so I feel like that's a share) and retail which is evenings and weekends mostly. For about the last year though I have been gainfully unemployed. It's really a personal choice between myself and my husband but the point is that I have been a little better able to deal with the weird sleep patterns because I can rest during the day (in between other things) when I need to. Right now we are still (sort of) in the process of moving and so my days are filled with my normal household chores and errands (laundry, dishes, cooking, grocery shopping, etc.) and then a lot of unpacking and organizing as well. Plus we are in a new place so it takes a little while to get used to the noises and the atmosphere of the place.
For the most part the extra work has made me tired enough to sleep but tonight apparently not so much. I sit here at the computer doing nothing whatsoever useful (I'm reading old blog posts for heaven's sake. Like they won't be there tomorrow.) and counting down the hours until hubby's alarm goes off so I can make breakfast for him before he goes to work. I even made coffee at 1:30 in the morning!
*sigh* I need a vacation. Or a nap, a nap would prolly work too.

Hmm, do you think it would be a bad idea to wake hubby at the "old" time to see if he's glad he doesn't have to get up yet? (we moved closer to where he works so he doesn't have to drive an hour and twenty minutes greatly reducing his need to arise early, lousy sleeper.)

No comments: