Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Stitch by Stitch

After Christmas knitting is finished, I often find myself wanting to cast on everything in sight because I'm so excited to knit whatever I want again. Not that my Christmas knitting isn't planned and set up by me but that is something else. 
This year, I finished my Christmas knitting on the 22nd and found myself with nothing much on the needles and lots of events yet to attend. Since things were so busy, I ended up grabbing a skein of yarn that was already wound.

I had previously cast on something with it but ripped it out so it was just sitting there waiting to be knit and I happened across it one day.
Well, I ended up tucking it into my purse and after a few days, I had something.

The start of a sock (of course). Knit with some curly yarn but it will block out.
I've tried to knit on it here and there but I'm knitting the skew pattern again because I love how they fit so much and with this yarn they turn out so perfectly that I couldn't resist. That means that at intervals I have to pay pretty close attention to what I'm doing though so it isn't always something I can pick up and set down easily. Honestly, it doesn't make a great purse sock for that reason so I should put a different sock in there but I haven't yet.
I even ended up taking the sock to a gaming session and knitting while waiting for my turn.

(As a note: don't underestimate the sorceress. I did the most damage in the last fight of the night.)
Anyway, all this to say that if I sit down with this sock for an hour or two, I could have a finished sock. Even despite all the paying attention issues and lack of time to knit, I have made progress.
I sometimes feel like it isn't much progress and it doesn't seem to add up quickly but it does add up.
I'm not trying to get all philosophical but honestly, that's kind of how I feel about life right now. I may be making progress (in some areas, let's be real, I can't be everything) but it feels like I'm not. It's there though, slowly adding up. Just like knitting, stitch by stitch it gets done. The important part is to put in those stitches.
How about you? Are you putting in any "stitches" on anything in your life lately? Knitting or otherwise.

No comments: