Monday, May 23, 2011

Socks and more socks

Lately I've been going a little crazy with all the socks I have on the needles.

The good news? The April socks are done and have fallen into the LOVE category.

I really like the pattern Peaks 'n' Valleys and I've knit it before. The last time it was a cotton yarn and this time it was Panda Silk. Both times for some reason I chose a yarn without stretch but I love this pattern so much (simple to memorize and unique) that I really should knit it again with a lovely cushy wool. I even love that I can wear the socks like above or:

Fold down the cuff to make lovely little ankle socks, much more appropriate with sandals and capri pants (which I live in during the summer).
I didn't love working with the yarn though and I didn't love having a time crunch to knit socks on size 1 needles. I do love the soft drapeiness (is that a word?) of the finished product. I love the soft smooth feel as I slip them on too. All in all, I love the socks.

Why, you may ask, am I focusing on socks that I have finished? Well, because this:

Is all that's done of May's socks. Yup, we're looking at single digits of days left this month and yet, the socks aren't even close. Why? Frogging incident. I was knitting them on 1s as well. The yarn is fine, what can I say, I thought I had forgiven the 1s for April's "Incident". But when I had turned the heel and finished the gussets, I tried it on, as I often do and it was a no-go. It didn't fit. I could get it on, but not very well and it was snug. In a not very nice way.

I'm not thrilled with this yarn in this pattern anyway (Spring Forward which is a lovely pattern but I don't think works as well as I thought it would in Lion Brand Sock-Ease) They are just not calling to me. I'm thinking these may end up being a gift and I can't give socks that don't fit. That would just involve me knitting them again really. And um, OUCH.

What would I rather be working on?

These of course. Some lovely handspun yarn from Funky Carolina. I received this lovely superwash Merino roving at our spinning party last year and spun it into a lovely 2-ply. It was so unusual and I liked it so much that I immediately spun it into a ball and didn't even measure yardage. I'm knitting socks from both ends so I can make them the same length even though they are quite fraternal I love them. They are smooshy and soft and they have a simple and neat looking little cable up the leg. What's that? You can't see the cable?

Here you go:

Don't you just want to grab it and start working on it? But I'm trying to be a good little knitter and finish things, the WIPs in this house are threatening revolt and they greatly outnumber me.

Speaking of finishing things, I never got a chance to blog about the Royal doll I knitted for the local paper. Let's ease into it though and I'll show you just this for today:

It looks like a sort of scary dolly massacre doesn't it? Yup, this was just before I started sewing him up.

More about him later. In the meantime, back to socks.

Whoops, what was that? Hmm, I'm not sure how that got in there, I'm a good little knitter who's going to finish her socks. I'm not going do crazy things like start something else. I'm not sure who you think I am but I'll just be over here waiting for it to be time for me to go teach and knitting my yellow May socks. Yup, May socks all the way. Shhh.

No comments: